Top Ten Tuesday is now hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl! Most of us are familiar with Top Ten Tuesday by now, but if your new to this, a topic is given every Tuesday and the blogger then produces a top ten list of books to fit the weekly subject. The topic this week is ‘Top Ten Bookish Goals for 2018. Like a lot of people, I like to set myself goals for the new year. I don’t like the word resolutions, as I feel like it’s more something I need to stick to, rather than something I can work towards. I have come up with a list of goals for myself, and figured out action steps on how I might go about accomplishing them by the end of the year…
Read 50 Books
My Goodreads Challenge for the year! This is just under a book a week, which I feel is an achievable goal for me. Some books will take longer, but some will be quicker reads. Hopefully I will find that balance (and not hit massive reading slumps like last year)!
Make at least an hour for reading each day
- Read at breakfast time
- Be early and read whilst waiting
- Read before bed
If I stick to these three, any extra time during the day is a bonus!
Tackle at least 2 fantasy series
- Finish the ACOTAR series (currently ongoing)
- Try a new fantasy author (Leigh Bardugo or Maggie Stiefvater)
Read Les Miserable by Victor Hugo
- Purchase a copy of Les Miserable (this would help!)
- Read at least 10 pages a day
I don’t want to push myself through it, and I will be reading it alongside other books, as I can see it taking a while to get through! I’ve heard it’s very description heavy, so I want to really focus on what’s going on. I chose Les Mis over something like War and Peace because I am already familiar with the story, and if I do get lost, I still roughly know what’s going on!
Read some non fiction
- Pick up a memoir
- Track reading from my research project
I realised I do a lot more reading than I think I do, because I have all the books I read for uni. I don’t tend to count these, because I don’t read the entire book, but there are a few shorter books that I might be getting into that I can keep track of and add to my Goodreads goal!
Read the Mara Dyer series
- When stuck for something to read, pick up the first in the series
I’ve had Mara Dyer on my shelf for ages, and so many people say how amazing it is, 2018 is the year I finally get round to reading it!
Accept reading slumps
I know I said in the first point that I was hoping for less reading slumps, I know I’m tempting fate by saying I can get through the entire year avoiding them!
- Put the books down, watch some Netflix/catch up on all those great movies you’ve never seen
- Don’t force reading. Wait until you’re struggling to function without them. Then you know it’s time!
Blog at least once a week
I really need to keep up with blogging this year, as I feel like it will be an important factor when applying for jobs later in the year…
- Complete Top Ten Tuesday every week
- Have fun with some tags
- Don’t stick too closely to a schedule, just post when you can
I love planning and schedules, but I never know when I’m gonna have loads of work to do, so it’s best if I just post when I can (besides TTT of course!) so I don’t push myself too hard into posting.
Apply for jobs in publishing
So as some of you might know, I’m graduating this year! It’s crazy, my time at university has gone so quickly, but it’s got to the point where I really have to start thinking about my future! I’ve always wanted to work for Penguin, and having my tutors fully backing my career aspirations gives my the boost I need to really go for it!
- Research into every area of publishing I’m interested in
- Apply for every job and paid internship I can
- Try and get some work experience?
- Spend time and put effort into every single application, make them unique and stand out
I have a lot of other personal goals I want to achieve this year, and I have already started working really hard to make them happen! Do we share any of the same goals? Feel free to link your lists in the comments so I can check them out!
Until next time…